Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Power of Music

"Ain't it wonderful to be alive when the rock 'n roll plays...Yeah..."
Those words led me to think about how powerful music really is. No matter what kind of music you prefer, it always gets right to your core when it's the right song and makes you feel good. I've had the pleasure of hearing my favorite Eagles' songs ("Lyin' Eyes" and "Hotel California") performed live, and tonight, I will have the pleasure of hearing Bon Jovi perform my all-time favorite song "Wanted Dead or Alive" live. I fully expect to have a tear in my eye when that music keys up too.
Nothing like a good song to raise the hairs on your arms, make your eyes mist up, and take you back to whatever place that song reminds you of. All of us can say that songs evoke memories/thoughts/ melancholia/etc. when we hear that certain one.

I'm a definite crier when gospel music is sung. The music to "Amazing Grace" will make me cry in a minute. I've been to a church that didn't make me feel that way when the choir sung. I've been to a church that I felt the spirit of God in the parking lot when I got out of the car, and I could have cried and wallowed around on the floor when the music was sung. Feeling the presence like that is awe-inspiring. Hearing Elvis sing "How Great Thou Art" is a beautiful experience. Too bad I couldn't have seen THAT one live..LOL!

I think that's why music lyrics pop into my head all the time. They take me to different places. They make me think of different things. Sometimes, a song can come on, and I will think of something or someone that I haven't thought of in years. It's often a pleasant experience, but it can be a sad one too. It depends on the song. Bob Marley catapults me right to that beach in Jamaica.. I can smell the salt and the sand and feel that breeze on my face. It's fantastic! Snoop's Doggystyle takes me right back to the summer when we used to ride up and down the Boulevard over and over again. I can feel the humidity and smell all that exhaust from backed up traffic! Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" makes me think of high school and how fun it was then although we didn't appreciate it at all!

It is amazing how music transforms things and transcends time.

I remember how my mom used to torture me and make me listen to Percy Sledge, Barry White, and Motown. Well, I have to admit, my iPod is full of those tunes now. I love them! I wonder what my son will learn to love because of the music that his father and I listen to. He will definitely be exposed to quite an eclectic mix!

When you're feeling down, think of your favorite song from a happy time in your life. Go ahead, sing it out loud, dance around to it too.. I bet it will make you feel better!

**After I posted this, I heard "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson. I distinctly remember sitting on the floor in front of the TV watching the Grammies that year because he sang this song and did the moonwalk. I was mesmerized and in awe. Every time I hear that song, that's how I feel about Michael Jackson, and it makes me want to do a little moonwalk wherever I am!

3 comments:

  1. Were you aware that Michael Jackson did not initiate the Moonwalk? The guy that sang with the group Shalamar created that dance. Michael Jackson made it famous, but kids were doing it in the neighborhoods way before Michael Jackson was on the scene. I learned that from a show called Unsung. It comes on on Monday nights on TV One. I love it because they take you back through the lives of artists that you grew up hearing on the radio. Do you remember Stacy Lattisaw, the Bar-kays, Bootsy Collins, Debarge? All of their stories have been told on Unsung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I did not know that. I might have to check that show out.. it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the guy's name. His name is Jeffery(sp) Daniels.

    ReplyDelete